Coming into the final straight now, which means its time for each of the big parties to do what they can to squash the potential Greens vote with some last-minute smears they won’t have time to counter.
But there are so many contradictory lines to choose from!
Please help out your local Liberal/ALP campaign by nominating the lines below that are most likely to frighten you off voting Greens.
- The Greens are too idealistic/The Greens have sold out.
- The Greens are in bed with the ALP/The Greens are in bed with the Liberals.
- The Greens care too much about climate change/Voting against the ETS, even if it was a step backwards, shows the Greens don’t care enough about climate change.
- The Greens are too inflexible to negotiate/The Greens will compromise with the big party you dislike the most.
- The Greens look after the interests of rich elitists/The Greens look after the interests of poor no-hopers who don’t deserve our sympathy.
- The Greens are new and scary/The Greens are just another party no different from the rest.
- Bob Brown is old and will probably be replaced/Bob Brown rules the Greens with an iron fist.
- A vote for the Greens will make no difference/A vote for the Greens risks whichever big party you dislike the most.
- ADDED: The Greens are all taxes and punishing the wealthy purely out of spite/the Greens are outrageous spendthrifts who have no means of paying for the public services they advocate.
Please remind me in the comments of any I’ve forgotten.
And thank you for doing your part to defend the status quo.
ELSEWHERE: Isn’t it nice to see what the miners’ continuing pro-Liberal anti-ALP advertising campaign has bought them in promises of public money by the Liberals?
UPDATE: And GetUp! presents a scorecard for the parties on issues that actually make a difference to people’s lives:
I suppose now they’ll be accused of being a Greens “front”.
UPDATE #2: Make Poverty History also have a scorecard.
UPDATE #3: From the subsequent post, another contradictory attack, added to the list above: the Greens are all taxes and punishing the wealthy just out of spite/the Greens are outrageous spendthrifts who have no means of paying for the public services they advocate. If we portray them as either all spending or all taxes, then we can make them look alternately irresponsible or penny-pinching, even though when put together those attacks make no sense.