I didn’t think there was anything I’d actually like to ask the Prime Minister we finally kicked out in 2007 – after all, there was never any realistic prospect of him answering a question directly and honestly, or admitting fault, or expressing regret for any of the damage he did in his eleven years in office.
But as last night’s Q&A approached, suddenly a few occurred to me – as did a number of comments, as the program progressed:
- Mr Howard, are you sorry that your CGT cut and FHOG caused housing inflation so that now young people have no hope of buying a house? #qanda
- Mr Howard, do you have an actual argument against gay marriage yet? Or are you still relying on “it just is”? #qanda
- Howard: good economic results under ALP are because of mining boom. But we’ll take full credit for any positives in our term. #qanda
- Howard, Hicks pleaded guilty to an offence that didn’t exist when he “committed” it, in the context where there’d be no fair trial. #qanda
- Howard, no-one said Hicks was a “hero”. Total disingenuous strawman. #qanda
- Actually, that *isn’t* all the critics of the Iraq War have to throw at you, Mr Howard. The facts should hurt you a lot more. #qanda
- Howard, your policy was racist because it attacked refugees of particular ethnicities on boats and ignored those arriving by plane. #qanda
- Howard, it’s just not true to say we’ve reached the limit of our capacity to take refugees. The rest of your argument fails there. #qanda
- John Howard: it’s everybody’s fault but mine. #qanda
Naturally, none of those questions or comments made it to the TV screen. But this one did:
Well, if I can’t get any questions or comments about things that actually matter up there, I suppose I’ll have to be satisfied with the image of Howard’s mouthing off to the nation overlaid with my insult. Better than nothing, I suppose.
UPDATE: Some spectacular comments on the News Ltd online story about the shoe-throwing incident:
titch of sydney Posted at 2:40AM Today
to the critic open your eyes alot more iraquis would have died at the hands of the taliban regime if we did not intervene
What can you say to incisive reasoning like that?